Friday, June 10, 2005

Mr. and Mrs. Smith


(2005)

My husband and I just got back from seeing "Mr. and Mrs. Smith", which opened in theaters today. Normally I don't review current-run films, much less on the day they premiere, but I had planned beforehand to review this one. I knew I was going to enjoy it. Aside from and in spite of all the media speculation about Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, I had a feeling it was going to be a fun film. I like Angelina Jolie and I especially like to watch her in action roles (yes I love and own the two Tomb Raider films). Seeing her run around with a big gun, kicking butt, is FUN. She's as great in this kind of role as Diana Rigg was as TV's Emma Peel! A perfect fit. And Brad Pitt is an underrated actor, he is really very good, and he is funny in this movie! He has great comedic timing.

The plot is simple. Two professional assassins find out that they've been hired to kill the other. The plot is only barely complicated by the facts that (1) they are married to each other, and (2) they did not know until this point of the story the other's true occupation.

The "eye candy" factor is high: Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, often scantily dressed, heavily breathing lines such as "Who's your Daddy now?"

It's also an action-packed movie, with good dialogue, great chemistry between Pitt and Jolie, and plenty of (not too bloody) violence. It's much more tongue-in-cheek than the trailers indicate. And Pitt and Jolie get some great one-liners.

All in all, a highly entertaining "popcorn" movie; great summer flick. As we walked to the car I said "It's sort of a mix of 'True Lies', 'Tomb Raider', 'The Avengers' (the old TV show, not that lousy movie), with a pinch of 'Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid' thrown in. I really enjoyed it."

And look for a "Fight Club" reference, in the form of a t-shirt.

1 comment:

... said...

It is a good ''popcorn'' movie. At times I was surprised they allowed it to become as ''cute'' as it was. There were some good one-liners. ''Why do I get the girl gun?''

I didn't catch the fight Club reference. Though I loved that movie and Ed Norton. It got a lot of flack from women because of the violence, and general ''male aggression'' theme through out, but I always liked it.